The City of Porto Best City In The World
The Portuguese city of Porto was voted one of the best tourist destinations in the world on Saturday 12th November 2022 by the World Travel Awards (WTA) 2022. The ceremony took place in Muscat, Oman.
Voting in for WTA world categories took place online and ended on October 20th 2022.
Porto’s win came in the category of ‘World’s Leading City Destination. This after also being selected as the Best City Destination in Europe 2022.
This year, the city was put forward in the “World’s Leading City Destination” and “World’s Leading Heritage City Destination” categories, eventually winning the first name.
Up against some of the world’s top city destinations such as:
- Acapulco, Cancún and Mazatlán in Mexico.
- Bogotá in Colombia, Quito in Ecuador
- Cape Town in South Africa
- Nairobi in Kenya
- Dubai in the United Arab Emirates
- Las Vegas, Miami and New York in America
- Hanoi in Vietnam
- Hong Kong now in China
- Melbourne and Sydney in Australia
- Queenstown in New Zealand
- Marrakech in Morocco
- Lyon in France
- London in the UK
- The city of Lisbon in Portugal.
So some serious scalps were taken and beating off some very stiff competition.
The Porto City Council representatives remarked that with this award, the city obtains
“The highest global recognition in travel and tourism in the Best City Destination category in the World, a unique distinction in the industry”
Portos councillor for Tourism Catarina Santos Cunha received the award, at a gala evening in which the president of the Porto Tourism Association, Luís Pedro Martins, was also in attendance.
At the ceremony, the city of other awards went to the following Portuguese interests.
- Lisbon was also awarded the “World’s Leading Seaside Metropolitan Destination 2022”,
- Madeira with the “World’s Leading Island Destination 2022”,
- The Paiva walkways with the “World’s Leading Adventure Tourist Attraction 2022”,
- The Parks of Sintra – Monte da Lua,
- TAP Air Portugal (with two awards for air connections to Africa and South America),
- The Olissippo Lapa Palace Hotel,
- The Algarves Dunas Douradas Beach Club,
- The Pestana Palace Lisboa
- The Dark Sky Alqueva Observatory
The World Travel Awards is a global initiative that recognises and rewards excellence in travel and tourism the awards are decided on by votes from many travel industry professionals, media and consumers around the world.
Porto can be reached in just over an hour with daily flights from Faro airport. Ryan Air has some great deals through the winter months and flights can be bought for as little as 20-30 euros each way.
Living in the Algarve certainly has many advantages, looking for a property for sale in the Algarve is made easy with Gatehouse International Algarve. Search the site or sign up for property alerts in your area of interest.
I have lived in the Algarve for over 20 years and love the experience. Now writing about and photographing the Algarve experience to share with others.
Contributor to all that is Algarve on Wikipedia – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:MarkMcLoughlinAlgarve
Books – https://amazon.com/author/markmcloughlin
YouTube Channel Algarve Elevated: Stunning Aerial Views- https://youtube.com/@MarkMcLoughlinAlgarve
Level 10 Google Local Guide for the Algarve – https://maps.app.goo.gl/QRC1qeLiWUc9wmQj6