Applying for Portuguese Nationality & Passport
If you have decided the Algarve is the place for you and you have been living here for 5 years and have your Resident Permit maybe it’s time to think of going all the way and getting Portuguese Nationality.
Here you can learn more about the process and who can obtain Portuguese Nationality and how to apply.
If you obtain Portuguese nationality, you are recognised as a Portuguese citizen and are bound to rights and duties set out in relation to Portugal.
Who can Apply for Portuguese Nationality & Passport
As a broad rule, you can apply for Portuguese nationality in any of the following cases.
- If a foreign national is married to a Portuguese national after three years he or she can then apply for citizenship.
- A child born in Portugal to foreign parents who have been legally residing in Portugal for two years and are also eligible for citizenship.
- A child born in Portugal to foreign parents with at least one parent who was born in Portugal.
- Newly born infants found abandoned in Portugal are also considered.
- Those Portuguese nationals who have lost their Portuguese nationality but never taken citizenship in any other country.
- Has married a Portuguese national
- A child adopted by a Portuguese citizen can also apply for citizenship.
- Foreign nationals can get citizenship by investment through various visa schemes including Golden Visa or D7 visa.
- Someone who has been legally working in Portugal for the last five years
It is important to be aware that if you have a Golden Visa, which is designed to encourage investment from non-EU/EFTA nationals in Portugal. It will not speed up the process of obtaining Portuguese citizenship and you will still need to adhere to the standard rules.
You can apply for or get more information about your Portuguese nationality and passport application at the following places:
- The office of the Institute of Registries and Notaries at the National Center for Support to the Integration of Migrants (CNAIM) in Porto or Lisbon.
- In Lisbon Nationality Registration Spaces (Areeiro, Benfica and Expo).
- In the Citizen Shop in Odivelas.
- In your local or nearest Civil Registry.
- At any of the Portuguese Consulates in your area of residence
Any foreign national living in Portugal legally for 5 years can apply to get Portuguese Nationality/Citizenship. People who are from non-European countries can also get Portuguese nationality if all documentation required is provided. The Portuguese government amended its citizenship law in the year 2019 and approved that Non-European nationals are eligible for applying for Portuguese citizenship after five years of residence in Portugal.
To apply for permanent citizenship you need to submit the following documents that are required to apply for your Portuguese citizenship:
- Original copy of your Birth Certificate
- Certificate of Portuguese Language test
- Your current valid Passport
- Proof of your current Residence Permit
- Criminal Record Certificate for your time in Portugal
- Criminal Record from your previous country of residence
- Document issued by SEF proving that you have been legally residing in Portugal for the last five years such as Residence Permit or New Residence Permit
- Your Marriage certificate if applying for citizenship on behalf of a Portuguese Spouse
The managing Partner handles the property promotion and sales from the Almancil office which is also adjacent to the luxury coastal golf resorts of Vale do Lobo and Quinta do Lago. With over 25 years of experience in the Algarve property & financial markets.